Remembrances

While working on our final day of this year's Mission Trip, I pulled out a hack saw from my bucket of tools. The saw was handmade almost ninety years ago by my grandfather - a wonderfully kind man who spent much of his life as a machinist and inventor. Etched into the tool are his initials, E.H.H. I'm lucky to have inherited several of his tools, each of which carry his mark. Whenever I use one of these gifts, I recall that gifted man and the patience, generosity and encouragement he always offered me.

This week, I've been privileged to hear the stories told by Lakota friends as they describe their grandfathers. In all of my readings about Native American culture, it's very clear that they held their elders in high esteem. That tradition of respect and reverence has become even more evident through my experiences living among the Lakota. They've reminded me of the importance of looking back to honor the generations that came before us.

For me, looking back here on the Rosebud has its risks and rewards. Often times, I'm celebrating traditions I admire tremendously. Frequently, however, I'm also filled with regret and anger for the injustices inflicted on a people I love. But, above all, I'm here not just to remember; I'm here to re-member, in my own modest way, the body of Christ. As we build homes and friendships, we seek to mend what has been broken, to promote reconciliation, and to witness to the oneness of God's creation. The days spent with my Lakota friends and my fellow trip members knit us together in God's love and forgiveness. It's a powerfully-transforming experience that I cherish.

Andy

Comments

Popular Posts